Running off the High Street, at right angles, the line of the street follows the path that the Roman soldiers followed, when patrolling the boundary of their fortress of Isca. The actual street dates from the Saxon, in King Alfred's time and is one of several 'grid like' streets from this period, including Martin's Lane and Catherine Street.
It is recorded that it was called Correstrete in 1265 - this name probably came from the Middle English word for currying, or the curing of leather. It was also known as St Lucie's Lane in 1669. The street was renamed Gandy's Lane and then Gandy Street after Henry Gandy, Mayor of Exeter in 1661 and 1672.